Thursday, January 17, 2013

Minting A Trillion-Dollar Coin

I wrote an interesting article about the idea of a trillion-dollar coin and just how this idea could save the United States from bankruptcy. The government should mint a trillion-dollar coin (the idea). It would then be deposited at the Federal Reserve. This would improve the government's account. And the government could borrow another one trillion dollars …

How many 1 oz platinum coins would be necessary for a trillion-dollar coin? I did a calculation. Here is the number: 615,763,547 coins. This is based on the spot price of platinum of USD 1624 per ounce on 10 Jan 2013. Today it is already at USD 1684. I did more calculations, i.a., how large the trillion-dollar platinum coin would. I also suggested different motifs for the coin …

Read my article about the trillion-dollar coin on my website